Page 6: 2005/2008 – Space Junk and Polar Exploration
Works depicting space capsules and works about the discovery of the North and South Poles. All of them were part of exhibitions at galerie Delta in Rotterdam except for the Schooner piece which featured in the Motor Memory solo show in Seattle and is therefore also included in page 8.

______ #29

Tin Can (Friendship7) [2005]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood 110 x 70 x 10cm
(Concordia Collection, Rotterdam, Netherlands)

Tin Can (Friendship7) was the first space themed bas-relief and the first to be fitted with a large image on the back. In this case a photo of astronaut John Glenn.

[expand title=”Follow this link to learn about the Mercury-Atlas 6 mission of 1962: “]

About Friendship 7 and Mercury-Atlas 6

The Mercury-Atlas 6 mission, conducted by NASA on February 20 1962, was piloted by astronaut John Glenn, who performed three orbits of the Earth, making him the first U.S. astronaut to orbit the Earth. It reestablished NASA and the US as strong contenders in the space race with the Soviet Union. The USSR had launched Sputnik, the first spacecraft, in 1957, and Yuri Gagarin was the first human in space in 1961. After Glenn’s flight the space race shifted its focus towards the Moon.

Image above: Glenn Suits-Up for Launch [1962]
photo by NASA
‘Astronaut John H. Glenn Jr. dons his silver Mercury pressure suit in preparation for launch. On February 20, 1962 Glenn lifted off into space aboard his Mercury Atlas (MA-6) rocket and became the first American to orbit the Earth. After orbiting the Earth 3 times, Friendship 7 landed in the Atlantic Ocean 4 hours, 55 minutes and 23 seconds later, just East of Grand Turk Island in the Bahamas. Glenn and his capsule were recovered by the Navy Destroyer Noa,
21 minutes after splashdown.’
(source NASA:…GPN-2000-001027)

The first rear image

“I applied this photograph of a focused and downright terrified John Glenn, minutes before being shot into space, to the back of the Tincan/Friendship 7  relief in 2005. The work was designed to fit the whole of the available space of Galerie de Aanschouw in Rotterdam. Billed as the smallest gallery in town, De Aanschouw is basically a glass display case embedded in the facade of De Schouw, a famous Rotterdam pub… The idea of applying a photo to the rear of the relief arose because a piece exhibited in De Aanschouw can be seen from both sides. It worked so well for the object itself that I applied a rear image to many of my subsequent bas-reliefs, even though it may only be visible during transport or installation of the work.”

Video: Friendship 7, Full Mission, over 5 hours worth of original video and audio.
Credit: Lunarmodule5


______ #30

Pod (Apollo space capsule) [2005]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 105 x 100 x 10cm
(Concordia Collection, Rotterdam, Netherlands)

______ #31

Lunar Orbiter [2006]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 120 x 121 x 12cm
(collection of Jeroen Princen, Rotterdam, Netherlands)

[expand title=”More about the Apollo 11 moon mission: “]

About Apollo 11

Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong became the first humans to walk on the Moon in 1969. Much of the mission was broadcast live on television and was followed by millions at home. Apollo 11 launched from Cape Kennedy at 13:32:00 ut on July 16, 1969 and left Earth orbit after 2 hr and 33 minutes. They reached lunar orbit at 75 hr 50 minutes Ground-Elapsed-Time (GET). At 80:12 get, the service module propulsion system was fired to correct the orbit, each orbit now taking two hours. At 100:14 GET the Lunar Module was undocked after a full systems check. They fired the Lunar Module descent engine at 101:36 get and the ‘Eagle’ landed at 102:45 get. The first action on landing was to prepare the Lunar Module for launch. They had a meal, but a scheduled nap was postponed at the astronauts’ request. At 109:24:19 GET Neil Armstrong took his first step on the moon. The astronauts then carried out their planned program of activities. They deployed the Solar-Wind- Composition experiment and collected a huge amount of lunar material. They took panoramic photographs of the region and closeups of lunar surface material. They deployed the Laser-Ranging-Retroreflector and the Passive-Seismic-Experiment-Package and collected two core-tube samples of the lunar surface. After about 2h 15mins of lunar surface activities the astronauts reentered the Lunar Module and took some sleep. Ascent began at 124:22 GET after which they re-docked with the command spacecraft Columbia, which was piloted by the third member of the mission Michael Collins. Trans-earth coast needed only one of four planned midcourse corrections. The Command Module reentered the Earth’s atmosphere at a velocity of 36,194 feet per second (11,032 meters per second) and landed in the Pacific Ocean, where the astronauts were picked up by the recovery ship USS Hornet.
(source: NASA SP-214, Preliminary Science Report)

Image: Apollo 11 bootprint (1969)
photo by NASA
‘One of the first steps taken on the Moon, this is an image of Buzz Aldrin’s bootprint from the Apollo 11 mission. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the Moon on July 20, 1969.’

Video 1: Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch Camera E-8
Video 2: Apollo11: Lunar Landing July 20, 1969


______ #32

Sputnik [2006]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 230 x 200 x 18cm
(Concordia Collection, Rotterdam, Netherlands)

[expand title=”More about Sputnik, the first space capsule:”]

About Sputnik

Sputnik-1 / Спу́тник-1 was the first man made satellite. The 58 cm (23”) diameter polished metal sphere beset with four external antennas was launched into orbit on October 4th 1957. It could be seen and its radio pulses could be heard all over the world. The Russians’ unexpected space-tech savvy triggered the Space Race and set in motion a whole range of technological and scientific development. Traveling at over 8 kilometers a second, Sputnik-1 took 96.2 minutes for each orbit. It continued to transmit its bleep-bleep signal until its batteries ran out on October 26th. By the time it fell from orbit three months after launch, it had traveled about 70 million kilometers.

Image: Laika / Лайка (1969) The first living creature to orbit the Earth was a stray dog from the streets of Moscow named Laika. The mongrel was trained with two other dogs, and was eventually selected to occupy the Soviet spacecraft Sputnik 2 that was launched into space on November 3, 1957. There was no chance of surviving the trip because the technology to de-orbit had not been developed yet. The purpose of the experiment was to see if humans could possibly endure the extreme force of being shot into space and if they could function in weightlessness.

Video: Спутник-2. Лайка.


______ #33

Vostok [2006]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 130 x 130 x 14cm
(private collection, Wassenaar, Netherlands)

[expand title=”More about Vostok and the first man in space:”]

About Vostok

Vostok / Восток was a series of space craft built by the Soviet Union. Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first man in space on April 12th 1961 in Vostok-1. The Vostok program carried eight men into space until it was replaced in the late sixties by Soyuz. Amazingly, Soyuz spacecraft are still in use today 45 years later. 

Video: Юрий Гагарин/ Первый из первых ч 1


______ #34

Endeavor (Apollo15) [2006]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood 70 x 185 x 14cm
(private collection, Rotterdam, Netherlands)


Polar Exploration

An inquiry into the spirit of the age of Polar Exploration. Around 1900 the North and South Poles were the last great stretches of unclaimed territory. With the exception of the last work, Schooner (S.S. Roosevelt), the set was exhibited by Delta gallery Rotterdam in 2007.

______ #42

Grytviken (Whalers Lodge) [2007]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 150 x 95 x 12cm
(Collection of Taco Verplanke, Barendrecht, Netherlands)

[expand title=”This house on the South Georgia Islands saw both the start and end of Ernest Shackletons Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914–17: “]

The Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition

By the early twentieth century the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration was rapidly drawing to a close. The American Robert Peary had (disputedly) attained the North Pole on April 6th 1909; Norwegian Roald Amundsen had discovered the South Pole on December 14th 1911. Robert Falcon Scott’s ‘Terra Nova’ Expedition had arrived at the South Pole on 17 January 1912 only to find Amundsen had beaten them to it. Demoralized and in deteriorating condition, they attempted the journey home but lost their way in snowstorms; all of them perished. Undeterred by this tragedy, Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton stated that there remained ‘one great main object of Antarctic journeyings’: the first land crossing of the Antarctic continent. Shackleton set out on his Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition at the dawn of the Great War.

Having secured the funds he needed from the British Government and wealthy backers, he had by June 1914 bought the 300-ton barquentine Polaris which was to take them to Vahsel Bay. The ship, built for the Belgian explorer Adrien de Gerlache, was renamed Endurance after the Shackleton family motto. He also bought the ship Aurora. This second ship, under command of Aeneas Mackintosh, was supposed to meet them at the Ross Sea on the other side of the continent and lay in provisions for the last part of the crossing.

Endurance left Plymouth on August 8th 1914, just four days before the first skirmish of WWI, sailing via Buenos Aires and arriving in South Georgia on November 5th. After a month-long halt at the Grytviken whaling station, Endurance departed for the Antarctic. Soon they encountered pack ice which slowed down their progress and occasionally halted them altogether. On the 22nd the ice abated and they were able to enter deep into the Weddell Sea. On January 15th 1915 bad weather forced the ship to shelter in the lee of a stranded iceberg and the next day they were stopped by the surrounding ice at a position of 76°34 s, 31°30 w. On February 14th, after making little further progress, the men stepped on to the ice with ice-chisels, prickers, saws and picks to break the ship free, but their efforts were in vain and they now had to face the ‘possibility of having to spend a winter in the inhospitable arms of the pack’. Endurance, still caught in the ice, began drifting North with the pack. The ship’s routine was abandoned in expectation of a long stay. The dogs were housed on the ice and the ship’s interior made suitable for winter quarters. Shackleton hoped he could attempt a return to Vahsel Bay next spring, but on April 14th Shackleton observed the nearby pack ‘piling and rafting against the masses of ice’. If this happened near Endurance ‘she would be crushed like an eggshell’.
Some signs of the ice disintegrating occurred on July 22nd and a week later a storm caused the ice floe to start breaking up all around the ship. Masses of ice forced under the keel made the ship list heavily to port. ‘The effects of the pressure around us was awe-inspiring. Mighty blocks of ice (…) rose slowly till they jumped like cherry-stones gripped between thumb and finger’. On October 24th 1915, they were forced against a large floe and the ship’s hull began to give way. With loud noises it began to bend and splinter, and water from below the ice poured into the ship. The order to abandon ship was given three days later. Supplies and lifeboats were transferred to the ice. Frank Hurley was able to retrieve his camera and 550 glass plates of which he selected 150 and smashed the rest. On October 30th they started to march west in the hope of reaching Paulet Island but the route over the ice was impossibly rugged. Hauling the heavy supplies and lifeboats on sledges, they had only progressed a few miles in three days when they decided to pitch camp on a large ice shelf. From ‘Ocean Camp’ they could still revisit the wreck of the Endurance until, on November 21st, it finally slipped under the ice. They attempted a second march on December 23rd, but higher temperatures had only made conditions worse, with men sinking to their knees in soft snow as they hauled the boats over the ice ridges. Morale was getting dangerously low. They made only a little over a mile of progress daily, and after seven days Shackleton called a halt: ‘It would take us over three hundred days to reach the land’. They erected ‘Patience Camp’, their home for the next three months. Dwindling food supplies forced them to shift their diet to seal meat and to shoot and eat all but two teams of the dogs. On the evening of April 8th the floe suddenly split and they hastily readied the lifeboats. From then on the water would repeatedly open up and close again, forcing the men to pull the boats onto the ice and wait for conditions to improve. The physical strain and the lack of food were wearing the men down, so Shackleton decided to try for the uninhabited and rarely visited Elephant Island. They reached it on April 14th and managed to find a safe place to land and camp the following day. Their only prospect of rescue was to prepare one of the lifeboats for an 800 mile voyage across the Southern Ocean, back to South Georgia.

The ship’s carpenter McNish set about the task of improvising tools and materials. Shackleton and five other men took to the Ocean on April 24th 1916 in the 6,85 meter lifeboat ‘James Caird’, named after one of the expedition sponsors. Twenty-two men were left behind on Elephant Island with instructions to make for Deception Island the following spring, should Shackleton not return. The voyage to South Georgia hinged on pinpoint accuracy of navigation under the most unfavorable of conditions. Everything was soon encrusted in ice. The boat rode sluggishly and after some days they faced waves which Shackleton described as the largest he had seen in 26 years at sea. But on May 8th they sighted South Georgia. They washed up on the shore at King Haakon Bay on the uninhabited south side of the island. Another sea journey was out of the question, so a hike through the mountainous, uncharted interior of South Georgia seemed the only viable option. After some rest Shackleton, Frank Worsley and Tom Crean set out for Stromness on May 19th. Shackleton wrote afterwards: ‘I have no doubt that Providence guided us … I know that during that long and racking march of thirty-six hours over the unnamed mountains and glaciers it seemed to me often that we were four, not three’. (T. S. Eliot later borrowed this image for his poem ‘The Waste Land’).

By the evening of May 21st all six of the James Caird party were safe. Ice conditions prevented ships from reaching Elephant Island and it was only at the fourth attempt on August 30th that the Chilean vessel Yelcho was able to save the remaining men. They had survived the winter by improvising a shelter made from the remaining lifeboats, but some were in a bad state. All 28 of Shackleton’s party survived earning him respect and admiration. But this did not apply to the other half of the expedition. On the opposite side of Antarctica, Aeneas Mackintosh had risked everything to lay the depots of supplies for the expedition, unaware of the futility of their efforts. Three of their party perished in the snow.

Shackleton’s group, having been out of touch with civilization since 1914, returned to a world immersed in war. Many of them immediately took up military service and many died or were wounded. Seven years later, Shackleton organized another Antarctic expedition taking him back to South Georgia, where he died of a heart attack on January 5th 1922. It would be fifty more years before the Antarctic continent was first crossed.
(source: Expedition)

Cover image: Whaling station on Grytviken, South Georgia. 1989. Photographer: Hannes Grobe, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven, Germany.

Video: Whaling Station Grytviken on South Georgia Islands.

Image: Stove in the makeshift galley [1915]
This photo was taken in the Weddell Sea during Ernest Shackleton’s Imperial Trans- Antarctic Expedition of 1914-1916.
Photo from glass negative taken in 1915 by Frank Hurley.
Copyright: Scott Polar Research Institute.
‘Photograph showing the stove suspended by ropes from spars in the makeshift galley (kitchen). The galley which was erected on the ice was made of sails and spars and battens of wood from the ship. The stove appears to have been made from metal cylinders (ship’s funnel?). Pots and pans and other cooking equipment are on the stove and shelves on the wall behind.’


______ #43

Space Ops (McMurdo) [2007]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 115 x 85 x 12cm
(ABN-AMRO bank Art Collection, Netherland)

The Joint Space Operations Center (JSOC) opened in the McMurdo Antarctic station in January 2005. The building’s purpose is to unite the station’s computer and telephone systems into one dedicated hub. It houses the station’s computer data center and telephone network. NASA uses it to track polar-orbiting scientific satellites and to operate weather satellite equipment for the U.S. Air Force. This type of computer data center generates so much heat that the building needs to be cooled down despite its Arctic location.
(source: The Antarctic Sun)

______ #44

Ørnen (The Eagle) [2007]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 120 x 170 x 16cm
(collection of Van Der Ende Steel Protection Innovators, Barendrecht Netherlands)

[expand title=”Ørnen was a hydrogen balloon used in S. A. Andrée’s ill fated Arctic Expedition of 1897:”]

Ørnen (The Eagle)

The Ørnen was a hydrogen balloon built for S.A. Andrée’s Arctic balloon expedition of 1897, which aimed to be the first to visit the North Pole. Although balloon technology was already a hundred years old it was still largely experimental.
The three-layer silk balloon 20.5 meters in diameter was built by Henri Lachambre in Paris, then known as the ‘world capital of ballooning’. It was fitted with a sail which, combined with drag ropes, Andrée claimed would make the balloon steerable. This technique had never been proved in practice and, like the many questionable assumptions of the expedition, was only accepted by dint of Andrée’s copious enthusiasm and eloquence. The hope of the expedition was to restore Sweden’s reputation as a leading player in Arctic exploration, no matter what.

Support was abundant with money pouring in from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, King Oscar II and Alfred Nobel. Andrée had sold the press rights to the Aftonbladet newspaper, and it was later said that the funding that Andrée had received made it harder for him to take a realistic stance towards the ill-conceived aspects of his expedition. The expedition’s balloon hangar and hydrogen production plant were installed on the island of Svalbard in 1896, but unfavorable winds prevented them from undertaking a first attempt that year. Nils Gustaf Ekholm, the only expedition member with any real Arctic experience, left the crew because he calculated that Ørnen would not stay airborne long enough to carry them to the North Pole and then on to ‘the safety of Canada, Alaska or Russia’. Andrée’s self-deception became clear when, on the boat back from Svalbard, Ekholm learned from the chief engineer of the hydrogen plant that Andrée had from time to time covertly topped up the hydrogen while they were testing the balloon for leakage.

The success or failure of Arctic exploration had always depended greatly on using proven survival methods of the indigenous peoples of the Polar regions. But Andrée, a devout believer in ‘scientific superiority’, would have none of this and set out with clothing and sledges of his own – untested – designs.
Nils Strindberg, Knut Frænkel and S.A. Andrée arrived on Svalbard in the summer of 1897 and proceeded to prepare their balloon, loading it with scientific equipment, advanced cameras for aerial photography, provisions for four months, and ballast bringing the total weight to about 3,000 kg. The sleeping berths for the crew were fitted to the floor of the basket. The highly flammable hydrogen meant that cooking could not be done in the basket itself; instead, a modified primus stove was dangled 8m below the basket and lit remotely with the aid of an angled mirror.
On July 11 1897, in a steady wind from the south-west, the roof of the plank-built hangar was dismantled and the three explorers climbed into the basket. Andrée dictated a last-minute telegram to King Oscar and another to Aftonbladet. The mooring ropes were cut and the balloon rose slowly from the hangar and out towards the sea. The drag ropes, several hundred meters long, once wet, pulled the balloon down with a risk of crashing into the sea. After an initial dip the ropes became detached leaving the balloon without its experimental steering provision. The crew had meanwhile thrown out some ballast which, together with the loss of the heavy ropes, reduced the balloon’s weight by about 740 kg. They now rose to a height of 700 m where the lesser air pressure only accelerated the leakage of hydrogen. But they were on their way, and the baffled ground crew and assembled press watched the Ørnen drift slowly out of sight.

Nothing more was heard of the expedition, and their fate remained a matter of speculation and legend until 33 years later when their remains were discovered on Kvitøya Island. The truth of what had happened emerged from their journals and from undeveloped photographs that were found. The balloon had crashed on the pack ice after only two days. The explorers were uninjured but faced a grueling homeward trek south across the drifting ice. They set out on their long, arduous march, only to realize weeks later that the ice had been moving so quickly in the opposite direction that they had in effect traveled backwards. Inadequately clothed and equipped, inexperienced, daunted by the difficulty of the terrain, and with the Arctic winter closing in on them, the group finally washed up on the deserted island of Kvitøya in October and perished there.
(source:… Andrée)

Image top: S. A. Andrée and Knut Frænkel with the crashed balloon on the pack ice, photographed by the third expedition member, Nils Strindberg. The exposed film for this photograph and others from the failed 1897 expedition was recovered in 1930.
(source:… Expedition_of_1897)

Image: Andrée’s polar balloon was made in Henri Lachambre’s balloon workshop in Paris. (source)

Image: The station at Spitsbergen, from a photochrom print at the end of the nineteenth century. (source)

Image: The Eagle sailing North.


______ #45

Sea Ice Runway Fire-Engine (Foremost) [2007]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 135 x 72 x 10cm
(collection of Marius Kraamwinkel, Rotterdam, Netherlands)

A depiction of one of the fire trucks at McMurdo Station, Ross Island, Antarctica.

______ #47

Schooner (S.S. Roosevelt) [2007]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 215 x 155 x 12cm
(West Collection, Oaks, Pennsylvania, United States)

[expand title=”S.S. Roosevelt was built especially for Robert E. Peary’s expeditions to the North Pole:”]

Robert E. Peary’s Polar expeditions.

The schooner S.S. Roosevelt was a vessel built in 1905, designed by Robert Edwin Peary (1856-1920) to assist him in his ambition to be the first man at the North Pole.

Peary had made his first trip to the Arctic in 1886 through a donation of $500 from his mother. Accompanied by the Dane Christian Maigaard, he traveled from Godhavn, Greenland, nearly a 100 miles due east in the second-farthest penetration of Greenland’s ice sheet. In 1887 Peary met the 21-year old black sales clerk Matthew Hanson and after learning that Henson had six years of seagoing experience as a cabin boy, hired him as a personal valet. Peary returned to Greenland for a longer stay in 1891, familiarizing himself with the area and the Inuit people, studying their survival techniques, adopting their fur dress and learning how to build igloos. He hired Inuit as hunters and dog-drivers and, in May 1892, reached the 1000 meter Navy Cliff overlooking Independence Fjord. Here Peary concluded – for the first time – that Greenland was an island.

With the recognition from his successful expeditions, Peary eventually gained the support of a wealthy backer and was able to buy his own ship, the S.S. Roosevelt. During its first voyage in 1906, the Roosevelt made its way through the ice between Greenland and Ellesmere Island, establishing a ‘farthest north
by ship’ for the American hemisphere. With the vessel as a base, they ventured out onto the ice for an attempt at the North Pole. The dogsled parties made well under 10 miles a day until they became separated by a storm. Peary travelled on without a companion trained in navigation, and it is from this point that his claims begin to arouse suspicions. Upon returning, having barely escaped with his life off the melting ice, he asserted to have achieved a ‘farthest north’ record at 87°06’ and returned to 86°30’ without camping, implying a round trip of no less than 72 miles in two days.

For his final assault on the Pole, Peary set off from New York City on July 6th 1908 under great public interest. His expedition wintered near Cape Sheridan on Ellesmere Island, and departed for the Pole on February 28th 1909. Peary set out on the last stretch with five assistants, none of whom were capable of making navigational observations. They were Matthew Henson and four Inuit: Ootah, Egigingwah, Seegloo and Ooqueah. On April 6, 1909, he established ‘Camp Jesup’ allegedly within 5 miles of the pole after which they proceeded to plant a flag. Here Peary wrote his famous journal entry ‘The Pole at last!’ For this to have been true however meant that they must have covered over three times their usual daily distance. This later shed doubt on Peary’s claim, especially because Matthew Henson’s account speaks of tortuous detours to avoid pressure ridges, often several meters high, and leads of open water.
Upon returning to civilization, Peary learned that Dr. Frederick A. Cook claimed to have been first to reach the North Pole in 1908. But a Danish panel of explorers and navigation experts scrutinized Cook’s reports and rejected his claim. After this Peary decided not to submit his evidence for independent review but instead have his claim certified by the National Geographic Society, a major sponsor of his expedition. The first undisputed visit to the North Pole would not take place until sixty years later, by Wally Herbert in 1969.

Peary’s ship S.S. Roosevelt spent her latter days working as a towboat in the Puget Sound. Later, in 1937, after becoming totally disabled in an accident, she was laid up in the Panama Canal. Her crew, who had not been paid, sold off her equipment. Finally, the once famed Arctic exploration ship was left to rot away.

Image top: The Roosevelt drying out her sails at Cape Sheridan, September, 1908. The Dark Spots on the Shore are the Supplies and Equipment of the Expedition.

Image 2: Matthew Henson [1910] unknown photographer – US library of congress.
Matthew Alexander Henson (1866 – 1955), the first African-American Arctic explorer, was an associate of Robert Peary on seven voyages over a period of nearly 23 years. They made six voyages and spent a total of 18 years together on expeditions. Henson served as a carpenter, mechanic and dog driver, traded with Inuit and learned their language, and was known as Peary’s ‘first man’ in their attempts to reach the geographic North Pole. (source)

Image 3: Peary in arctic furs, c.1909 (source)



Flawless was the odd one out in 2007, a harbinger of things to come.

______ #46

Flawless [2007]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 95 x 75 x 10cm
(private collection, The Hague, Netherland)

______ #52

Peekskill [2008]

Bas-relief in salvaged wood, 150 x 125 x 14cm + 20 x 15 x 15cm for the meteorite
(collection of Ben Clapp, London, United Kingdom)

[expand title=”Peekskill  depicts a car that was hit by a meteorite in Peekskill, New York: “]

The Peekskill Meteorite Car

The Peekskill meteorite struck a parked 1980 red Chevy Malibu in Peekskill, New York in the early evening of October 9th, 1992. When it struck Earth, the meteorite weighed 26 pounds and measured a foot in diameter.
The event was witnessed by thousands across the East Coast. Because it was a Friday evening, its descent was captured on video by many high school football fans taping local games. The multiple perspectives gave scientists the ability to calculate the meteorite’s exact flight path to Earth.

Peekskill Fireball.

Image: Orbit of several Earth-crossing asteroids including the Peekskill meteorite’s parent body. 



Again > Back to the top
Earlier > Page 5: 2005/2009 – Local themes and Dioramas
Later > Page 7: 2007/2010 – MOTOR MEMORY and A SHALLOW WADE, Seattle